Yet Another New Blogging Engine

A few days ago I got an email from the folks at DreamHost (my hosting provider) saying their security scans had detected some malicious code that had found its way in to my server.

I had been running WordPress, which I had moved to about a year and a half ago off an old Cactus-generated site. However, the regularity with which I have to “deal” with Wordpress has gotten pretty annoying, so it’s back to the drawing board. I like the appeal of statically generated sites (because why on earth should the same PHP/Ruby/whatever code have to execute over and over again for everyone), so I dug in to Jekyll. I briefly flirted with the idea of writing my own static site generator, but after digging in to what that would entail, I quickly backed away from the plan.

Jekyll seems to be pretty good at getting something up and running quickly. I’m still figuring out how to do search, but I now have a nice archive page, which I didn’t before. I also need to figure out how to streamline deployment.

Overall, this move has been pretty straight-forward, and I’m especially grateful to the security team at DreamHost for keeping an eye on things and letting me know I had a problem.

Related️️ Posts️

Anything worth doing...
Everything old is new again